Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tindora coconut gravy/Thondekayi Huli Menasina Kodilu


An authentic Dakshina kannada recipe to my friends this time!I remember the first time I had it at my in-laws.Its just 2 days after my marriage and ever since then I am just fan of this kodilu. Its a Tindora in Coconut Gravy tampered with Garlic.

I learn't this from my MIL.I am great fan of my Mom-in-law recipes and I just love everything prepared by her. She is just a wonderful cook.

Here's the recipe...Enjoi!


You need to have:

15-20 Tindora/Thondekayi
4-5 Tamarind flakes
5-6 Red Chillies
1 cup grated Coconut
1/4 tsp of Turmeric
1/4 tsp Chilly powder
1 tsp Jaggery
8-10 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 flakes of Garlic
2 tsp Oil

Method:

Put tindoras under running water and clean them.Take each tindora and hit it with chapathi rolling pin or any hard substance which is available with you. This should just open tindora and help it to suck the coconut gravy.



Put this smashed tindora into cooker container.Add water, chilly powder, turmeric powder and jaggery to it .pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles.

Till the pressure goes out of cooker prepare the coconut gravy.
Take chillies, grated coconut, tamarind flakes in a mixer and grind it to smooth paste by adding little amount of water.This gravy should not be too thin or too thick.

Add this ground masala to a vessel containing cooked tindora.add required amount of water and bring it to boil. simmer and let it boil for 7-8 mins.

Finally take oil in a tadka pan.Add mustard seeds to it. Once it starts spluttering, add smashed garlic flakes and curry leaves. fry them in medium flame for 2-3 and add it to kodilu. Server hot with boiled or white rice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sambhar is one of my fav dishes.

Adige Mane Ruchi said...

@Anonymous, is it instruction for me to try the sambar from vahrevah?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...